Square One Scarf
Weave a beautifully soft and simple scarf that can be customized through colour. Choose a hand-dyed or handpainted sock yarn for the warp and create your cloth with a variety of colours in the weft to enjoy the colour interactions.
- Warp: 1 skein SweetGeorgia Yarns Tough Love Sock (425 yd / 388 m per 4oz / 115 g skein; 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon) in Grouse
- Weft: 1 skein SweetGeorgia Yarns Tough Love Sock (425 yd / 388 m per 4oz / 115 g skein; 80% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon) in a single or a variety of colourways (shown here in Grouse, Beach House, Arbutus, and Lichen)
- Unblocked Dimensions: 10.5 inches (27 cm) wide x 38.5 inches (98 cm) long, not including fringe
- Blocked Dimensions: 10.25 inches (26 cm) wide x 37.5 inches (95 cm) long, not including fringe (approximately 5 inches of fringe at each end)
- Equipment: rigid heddle loom with a 12-inch (30 cm) weaving width, 10-dent reed
- Tools: 1 shuttle, warping peg, reed hook, heddle hook, tapestry needle, measuring tape
- Weave Structure: plain weave
- Warp Length: approximately 60 inches (152 cm) includes about 10 inches of loom waste
- Warp Ends: 124
- Ends Per Inch (EPI): 10 EPI
- Picks Per Inch (PPI): 10 PPI
- Width in Reed: 12 inches (30 cm)
THINGS TO REMEMBER
This might be the first handwoven project of many and it’s great to be able to refer back to your work and use that experience to help you create your next project. So remember to jot down notes about the kind of yarn you used, the dimensions of your fabric in the reed, off the loom, and after washing. Also consider making notes about how the fabric feels to you and what you might change for the next iteration of this project!
MAKE IT YOUR OWN
Your choice of colours for the warp and the weft will make all the difference! Play with handpainted, speckled, or variegated skeins. Make stripes in the warp. Make stripes in the weft. Use a gradient mini-skein set. See how the colours mix and blend!