The pattern is featured in the Two-Heddle Weaving course with Amanda Wood.
The pattern is intended to be used alongside the class. This pattern is perfect for learning how to weave finer yarns with two heddles, especially with the log cabin border.
Log Cabin Placemats by Amanda Wood
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Width: 8 3/4” / 22 cm
- Length: 15 1/2” / 39 cm, including 1 1/2” / 4 cm fringe on each end
- 2 cones Venne 8/2 cotton in Dark Blue (MC) (711 yds / 650 m per 3.5 oz / 100 g cone; 3250 yd 6500 m per lb / kg; 100% Organic Cotton).
- 1 cone Venne 8/2 cotton in Curry (CC) (711 yds / 650 m per 3.5 oz / 100 g cone; 3250 yd 6500 m per lb / kg; 100% Organic Cotton).
Equipment & Tools
- Rigid heddle loom at least 10″ / 25 cm wide with a double heddle block
- Tools: (2) 10-dent or 40/10 heddles, (2) boat or stick shuttles, bobbins and bobbin winder (if you are using a boat shuttle), reed hook, medium weight paper the width of the loom, waste yarn for warp separating, scissors, measuring tape, yarn needle
Note: If weaving in floor loom, add extra loom waste allowance.
- Weave Structure: plain-weave layers with colour & weave
- Warp Length: 3 yd / 2.75 m (includes 48″ / 122 cm for loom waste, take-up, shrinkage, 3″ fringe per placemat)
- Warp Ends: 200
- Warp Sett: 20 epi / 8 epcm
- Weft Sett: 20 ppi / 8 ppcm
- Width in Reed: 10″ / 25 cm
- Woven Length: 18″ / 45 cm per placemat