LEARNING PATH | WEAVING
LEARN TO WEAVE WITH A MULTISHAFT LOOM
Discover how to weave with a multi-shaft loom, from the basics of how to read a weaving draft so that you can get up and running with a variety of simple weave structures to how to prevent yourself from getting injured and safely enjoy doing the craft that we love.
2 hr 13 min | 10 lessons
- Explore the core of weaving that is actually very simple with many paths to follow and find the right kind of weaving for you.
- Understand how and why they work, how all forms of weaving are similar as well as how they are distinct from each other.
3 hr 23 min | 10 lessons
- Learn how to dress a table loom and floor loom using the “back-to-front” method and weave a sampler project.
- Design our own project and warp the loom a second time to make a handwoven cloth of our own design using the sampler as a reference.
- Discover how to read a weaving draft so that you can get up and running with a variety of simple weave structures, right from the start.
4 hr 28 min | 12 lessons
- Learn about how to hold your body, how to stand, how to ensure that you are not instigating inflammation in your body and preventing repetitive stress injury for as much as possible.
- Understand project planning for weaving, winding a warp efficiently, rough sleying a reed, beaming with a trapeze, threading heddles, sleying the reed, tying on vs lashing on, weaving the header, adjusting your beat, ergonomics at the loom, weaving with two shuttles, winding weft bobbins, yarn packages and tools for yarn wrangling.
2 hr 33 min | 5 lessons
- Learn about what wet finishing is and the various ways to apply the process to your handwoven projects.
- Explore working with wool and how to full things, brushing a nap, working with cotton and linen and even some silk, and understand what happens when you change things like your density, weave structure, and how much you full your wool and how that affects the end product.
- Join the series of live lectures on weaving fundamentals with Laura Fry. 2022 Live Lectures Schedule:
- May 4th: A Good Yarn
- July 6th: The Toolbox
- September 7th: Goldilocks Zone: Tension
- November 2nd: Decoding the Code: Drafts and Drafting
LEARN TO WEAVE WITH A RIGID HEDDLE LOOM
Discover how to use a rigid heddle loom, a powerful and versatile piece of equipment that can help you to weave cloth that could be used for everything from scarves and shawls to textiles for the home.
2 hr 57 min | 13 lessons
- Introduce to using a rigid heddle loom, a powerful and versatile piece of equipment and can help you to weave cloth that could be used for everything from scarves and shawls to textiles for the home.
- Learn how to use this versatile loom with two projects: a sock yarn scarf and a sock/lace scarf.
2 hr 37 min | 8 lessons
- Introduce to new ways of working with a rigid heddle loom, a wonderful tool for weaving small projects like scarves and cowls.
- Explore two-colour interlocking projects, to create two very different scarves.
2 hr 34 min | 6 lessons
- Explore how to approach a new to you yarn. We will try different combinations, play with the sett and learn about how to respond to its particular character.
- Learn to make a gamp, which is essentially like a handwoven sketchbook. A gamp is going to give us some information about pattern and colour, and how these things work together.
- Take the information from our gamp and make a project that is entirely unique to ourselves.
LEARN WEAVE STRUCTURES
Understand and explore the different weaving structures such as weaving twills on 4-shafts, weaving Krokbragd, and weaving blocks on 4-shafts.
2 hr 35 min | 7 lessons
- Learn what is a twill gamp and interlacement.
- Understand the difference between rising sheds & sinking sheds.
- Discover the treadling “tromp as writ”.
- Learn dressing the loom for the twill gamp.
- Learn how to choose yarn, sett & calculations.
- Go over threading & treadling errors.
- Explore weaving and learning from your twill gamp.
- Learn about planning, designing, weaving, and finishing your twill project!
2 hr 14 min | 9 lessons
- Learn an introduction to Scandinavian textiles and common motifs used.
- Understand how to choose colours and select your yarn and sett.
- Learn how to read Krokbragd patterns and drafts and manage selvedges and change colours in the weft.
- Discover how to get good warp coverage and how to finish your handwoven Krokbragd piece, including several edge techniques.