LEARNING PATH | DYEING
LEARN TO DYE SPINNING FIBRE
Create your own unapologetic and unique hand-dyed yarns and colourways using acid dyes and protein-based fibres with confidence and discover new ways to add complexity and richness to your hand-dyed colourways.
1 hr 54 min | 34 lessons
- Learn to dye your own yarns and fibres using immersion dyeing techniques.
- Understand and learn to control the dye process to produce colours intentionally.
- Discover your own creative process and understand the variables that affect dyed results.
- Set up your own dye studio with the right space and the ideal equipment for acid dyeing.
- Create your own system to record your dye experiments and sessions.
5 hr 7 min | 48 lessons
- Develop a deeper understanding of colours and colour theory and learn to create or avoid muddy hues.
- Create glazed, layered, and tonal hand-dyed colour effects through immersion dyeing and the addition of delicate resists.
- Manipulate the variables of dyeing to produce non-repeating multi-coloured yarns with a low water immersion technique.
- Learn how to create handpainted yarns and spinning fibres for repeating colour sequences.
- Understand and create different self-striping colour sequences.
- Apply these dye techniques and methods to knitted sock blanks to produce even more hand-dyed effects on yarn.