Essential Weaving Tools & Equipment
Essential Weaving Tools & Equipment. All weaving is just a little bit different but the essentials are always there. A loom, warping equipment, weaving tools. Having all the weaving essentials can make a more enjoyable weaving experience. Let us help you to get started.
This is a general list of equipment, tools and accessories that are used in most courses at the School of SweetGeorgia . We advice looking at each courses individual materials list found in the material tab before beginning any project or homework.
*If you don’t own a loom and are curious to what loom to start with, we have an article here to help you!
- Rigid Heddle Reeds
- Stainless Steel Reeds
- Warping Board or mill
- Raddle if not built into loom
- Clamps *for attaching Raddle if no spot is available on the loom
Rigid Heddle Warping:
- Warping Peg & Clamp for the direct warping method
- Warping Board for the indirect warping method
- 2 Lease sticks (or 2 long sticks) indirect warping method
- Extra bar for back beam if removal on loom isn’t possible
- Clamps *To hold rigid heddle loom to table
- Reed Hook or Threading Hook
- Brass Sleying Hook or Plastic Sleying Hook
- Lease Sticks or Long Sticks to maintain warp cross
- Darning Needle
- Masking/ Painters Tape
- Waste yarn for choke ties
- Waste yarn for header
- Measuring Tape , Ruler or Ribbon & Sewing Pins
- Waste yarn/ cord for suspending Lease sticks or Ashford Helping Hands Kit
- Stick shuttle (Ashford, Schacht ) or Boat Shuttle* (Ashford, Schacht )
- *Bobbins for Boat shuttles (Ashford Bobbins, Leclerc Bobbins, or Schacht Bobbins )
- * Bobbin Winder or Electric Bobbin Winder also required with Boat Shuttle option
- Sticks or Paper for winding onto the back beam beam
- Yarn Swift and Ball Winder *if yarn comes in skein form
- Additional back or front bar depending on loom
This is just a small list of Essential Weaving Tools & Equipment that we think you will need for the projects in the school. As always, we encourage to come to the forums and discuss any of the tools mentioned and alternatives you may use as well.