Duet Sampler Double Weave
The double weave sampler & bread bag are featured in the Double Weave on 4-Shafts course.
This sampler warp gives you an opportunity to test out different ways of weaving double weave—as two layers, switching layers, as double-width, and as a tube. Once you’re ready, weave the remainder of the warp to make a linen/cotton bread bag or dishtowel.
Duet Sampler by Felicia Lo
Skill Level: Intermediate
- 12 1/2” / 32 cm wide x 19 1/2” / 49.5 cm long, relaxed, off the loom and before washing
- 11 1/2” / 29 cm wide x 17 1/2” / 44.5 cm long, after washing and sewing both ends
- Warp & Weft: 1 cone each of Gist Duet in Rust (A) and Marble (B) (600 yards / 548 m per 4 oz / 115 g cone; 55% European Tow Linen, 45% USA-Grown Cotton).
- 1 yard / 91 cm of 1/8” / 3 mm diameter cotton cord for drawstring, contrasting waste yarn to separate sampler from project
Equipment & Tools
- Loom: 4-shaft loom with a minimum 15″ / 38 cm weaving width, 12-dent reed
- Tools: 2 shuttles and 2 bobbins, scissors
- Sewing: serger, sewing machine, and/or needle and thread
- Weave Structure: plain weave woven as a tube and double-width
- Warp Length: 1.63 yd / 1.49 m long (includes approx 12″ / 30 cm take-up, 20″ / 51 cm loom waste)
- Warp Ends: 320
- Ends Per Inch (EPI): 12 per layer
- Picks Per Inch (PPI): 12
- Width in Reed: 13 1/4“