Welcome to Spinning up a Level with Katrina Stewart!
In this series, we are going to be exploring how you can begin to go from a beginner spinner to a spinner that can plan the exact kind of yarn they want to spin for a specific project, be it socks, a sweater, or a shawl. Throughout this series, we’ll be exploring various techniques of fibre choices, fibre preparation, drafting, plying, and finishing to achieve the hand-spun yarn of your dreams. This course also includes a comprehensive workbook and spinning exercises so you can try the demonstrated techniques for yourself and see which methods suit you and your spinning style.
We hope you’ll join us for Spinning up a Level!
Note: We recommended you print your Spinning Exercise worksheets on card stock since you'll be hanging your handspun samples on it.
Module 1: Fibre Prep & Drafting
- Download the Fibre Preparation Notes
- Download the Drafting Notes & Semis Chart
- Download the Spinning Exercise Worksheets for Module 1
- Download the Tools Resources List
Module 2: Fibre & Finishing
Module 3: Twist & Ply
- Download the Module 3 notes here!
- Download the Module 3 spinning worksheet here!
- If you want a wooden adapter to turn your wheel into a bobbin winder, visit Katrina's shop here!
Module 4: Spin Control
Module 5: Colour in Spinning Fibre
Module 6: Project Planning
Spinning Tools & Fibre Resource List
These are the tools that Katrina used in her course:
- Akerworks bobbins
- Akerworks Lazy Kate
- Control card (diameter control)
- Wraps per Inch (WPI) tool
- Eric’s tool for rewinding bobbins
- Leclerc bobbin winder
- Schacht Bobbin winder
- Schacht Sidekick Spinning Wheel
- Schacht Matchless Spinning Wheel
- Ashford Drum Carder
- Majacraft Hackle
- Majacraft Mini wool Combs
- SweetGeorgia Yarns spinning fibre braids
- Katrina’s batts
- Katrina’s rolags
- Katrina’s rovings
Remember your 15% off discount as a SOS member available here: https://www.schoolofsweetgeorgia.com/sweetgeorgia-discount/