Coming on February 2nd to the School of SweetGeorgia.
Welcome to Spinning Luxury Fibres: Silk taught by spinning instructor Rachel Smith! In this video course, we will cover the following objectives:
- A working definition for yourself of what luxury fibres are, their place in your spinning, and possible uses.
- A repertoire of spinning preparations to prepare these fibres for successful spinning.
- A collection of spinning drafts for working with a variety of preps, fibres, and lengths to create structurally stable yarns.
- Learn to finish luxury yarns to create yarns for you to knit, weave or crochet!
We will spin each fibre at the wheel and look at ply-back tests as well as sample skeins that were spun from the SweetGeorgia Spinning Luxury Kit made for this course. For blending, fibre preparation, plying, and finishing techniques, we use techniques taught by Kim McKenna in Nuances to Spinning Better Yarns and Working from Fleece courses. With the techniques and knowledge from these three courses, you will create truly spectacular yarns!
Spinning silk in and of itself is a whole mastery course. With that in mind, and as always in the spirit of experimentation and curiosity, let’s explore the world of silk and consider this an introduction.
- Introduction to spinning luxury fibres
- Mulberry vs Non-Mulberry silks
- Preparation of silks
- Tussah Silk
- Tasar or Tussah Peduncle
- White Eri
Spinning Luxury Fibres: Silk course includes a comprehensive workbook with beautiful photos, tips, and resources.
- Spinning Luxury Fibres: Silk Workbook PDF (coming soon)
If you run into any questions, you can always chat with us and share your progress and questions in the SOS Community Forums, too. We’re here to help support you on your fibre arts journey!
Head over to Lesson 0.1 Materials to get ready for the course.