Join in learning all about the basics of natural dyeing, taught by Caitlin ffrench!
The range of colours that can be produced with natural dyes has a cohesiveness and harmony that roots us to our environment. The natural dye journey is full of colour play and learning – learning how to work with the dye materials, mixing colours to get the outcome you want, all while taking excellent notes along the way!
In this course, Caitlin guides you through the basics, including:
- learn some of the history of natural dyes.
- learn about scouring and mordanting your materials, and the importance behind these steps.
- how to scour and mordant plant and animal based fibres.
- how to prepare your natural dye pots and the process of dyeing plant and animal based fibres.
- safe dyeing practices and suggested tools for your home or studio set-up.
- examples of natural dyeing on different fibre bases: cotton, superwash wool, and a wool + silk blend.
- best wildcrafting practices and how to be the best ally to your land base.
As Caitlin shares in the course, we are a part of the ecosystem, and by using the term land base, we’re acknowledging that we’re not just taking something from it, but are a part of the entire system and how it works. Learn how natural dyes work and how they are similar, or different, from other types of dyes such as acid dyes.
Once you’ve begun your natural dye journey, please do show us your results as well! We’ll be gathering over in the SOS Community Forums, and would love to see what you make!
Access the School of SweetGeorgia Natural Dyeing Basics chart here »
(Save a copy to your Google Drive for personal use)
Shop the Natural Dye Kit options available at the SweetGeorgia online shop »
(Reminder that SOS All-Access Members receive 15% off at the SweetGeorgia site, discount code available here)