Create your own unapologetic and unique hand-dyed yarns and colourways using acid dyes and protein-based fibres with confidence and intention. In this course, we will explore:
- dyeing your own yarns and fibres using immersion dyeing techniques
- understanding and learning to control the dye process to produce colours intentionally
- discovering your own creative process, balancing the science and art of dyeing and understanding the variables that affect dyed results so that you can play freely with colour
- setting up your own dye studio with the right space and the ideal equipment for acid dyeing
- learning the differences in working with yarn vs. spinning fibre
- troubleshooting both during and after the dye process
- creating your own system to record your dye experiments and sessions
For any questions and to share your dyeing adventures, come visit us in the SOS community forums! Plus, tag us on Instagram with #sosdyeing and #schoolofsweetgeorgia!
Downloadable Resources for this Course
Download the course workbook here to access the notes, checklists, and formulas you need to get started. We also have provided Excel worksheets below to easily calculate how much dye stock is needed for your dye recipes and formulas.
- SOS Dyeing Intentional Colour Workbook (v1.3 PDF)
- Dyeing Triangle Template – Large (PDF)
- Dyeing Triangle Template – Small (PDF)
- Dyeing Triangle Spreadsheet (XLSX)
- Dye Calculations Worksheet (XLSX)
- Dye Calculations Worksheet – Large Quantities (XLSX)
Dyeing Recordkeeping Tools
Download these PDF templates to record your dye formulas and keep analog records of the colours you have created.
- Dyeing Recordkeeping Template – Full Page Notes (PDF)
- Dyeing Recordkeeping Template – Business Card Size (PDF)
Sources & Suppliers
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Three Perspectives on Dyeing
Module 3: The Five Variables of Dyeing
Module 4: The Dye Studio: Setting Up Your Dye Workspace
Module 5: Principles of Precision Immersion Dyeing
Module 6: Dyeing Solid Colours: The Immersion Dyeing Process
Module 7: Review & Troubleshooting
Module 8: Building a Colour Library
Module 9: Next Steps
Accessing this course requires a login. Please enter your credentials below!