Discover new ways to add complexity and richness to your hand-dyed colourways using acid dyes and protein-based fibres. Building upon the skills and knowledge in our Dyeing Intentional Colour course, this course will explore:
- Developing a deeper understanding of colours and colour theory, focusing specifically on what happens when colours are mixed and learning to create or avoid muddy hues
- Creating glazed, layered, and tonal hand-dyed colour effects through immersion dyeing and the addition of delicate resists
- Manipulating the variables of dyeing to produce non-repeating multi-coloured yarns with a low water immersion technique
- Learning how to create handpainted yarns and spinning fibres for repeating colour sequences
- Understanding and creating different self-striping colour sequences
- Applying these dye techniques and methods to knitted sock blanks to produce even more hand-dyed effects on yarn
- Finding ways to make the dyeing process more safe, efficient, and productive through equipment, studio setup, and preparation.
This course builds upon our foundation of creating intentional colour and explores hand-dyeing techniques to add that elusive depth and richness that makes colours sing.
Through 47 video lessons in 8 modules and over 5 hours of content, you can walk beside me as I dye yarn in sixteen different examples. My dyeing style involves working with precision and intention as I create colourways, so you can join me as I lead you through the simple math calculations that are so helpful in preparing for an efficient and effective session in the dye studio.