Dip your toes into the world of crocheting with our Crochet Basics: from Fundamentals to your First Shawl!
Taught by Charlotte Lee, this online workshop covers all of the basics steps of how to start crocheting, including:
- how to choose yarns and hooks
- how to hold yarn & hooks
- how to chain stitch
- how to single crochet stitch
- different pick up methods & how do they look
- how to half double crochet, double crochet stitch
- how to treble crochet stitch and beyond
- finishing techniques: how to join crochet stitches, weave in ends & how to alternate colours without cutting the yarn
- how to swatch for the After Midnight Shawl
- how to troubleshoot
- crochet pattern inspiration after you finish your first shawl
We include a comprehensive workbook with all the instructions for the course’s swatches & the shawl’s swatch. With these new skills, you’ll be able to crochet the gorgeous After Midnight Shawl to show off and enjoy your wonderful new crocheting skills!
You can find the course materials here:
If you run into any trouble, check out the troubleshooting video, plus you can always chat with us & share your progress and questions in the SOS community forums! We’re here to help and support you on your fibre arts journey!
We hope you’ll join us! Tag your posts on Instagram #soscrochetbasics and #schoolofsweetgeorgia so we can see them!
- After Midnight Shawl Pattern- DK Weight (PDF) »
Decadent and soft, like the quiet that comes after midnight. After Midnight super-easy lace patterning paired with a luxurious DK-weight yarn promises the ultimate in a beautiful first gift for your loved ones (or you!).
- Lace After Midnight Shawl Pattern- Lace Weight (PDF) »
Decadent eyelets in a lace-weight yarn bring airy elegance to every wardrobe. This pattern, inspired by the original DK-weight After Midnight shawl, features a one-row lace stitch in the body and a captivating openwork edging. Naturally, this accessory is the perfect gift to give yourself.
- Crochet Basics Workbook (PDF) » Download the workbook for materials list, swatches instructions & tips.
- Crochet Basics Full Transcripts (ZIP)