Taught by Amanda Wood, we’re excited to introduce you to Colour & Weave with a Rigid Heddle Loom.
First, we’ll explore how to approach a new to you yarn. We will try different combinations, play with the sett and learn about how to respond to its particular character.
Second, we’re going to make a gamp, which is essentially like a handwoven sketchbook. A gamp is going to give us some information about pattern and colour, and how these things work together.
Third, we’ll be able to take the information from our gamp and make a project that is entirely unique to ourselves.
Throughout the videos, you’ll learn:
- what is colour & weave and the importance of contrast.
- what is a gamp and how to use it.
- equipment needed, recommendations on how to choose yarn and sett.
- how to direct warp an uneven number of stripes.
- indirect warping variation with three pegs.
- re-tensioning the warp.
- threading plan.
- weaving the gamp.
- fixing a knotted warp threads.
- weaving a houndstooth themed warp.
- weaving a stripes themed warp.
- resources and more.
We hope you’ll join us! Please share any progress or questions at the SOS forums, and tag your posts on Instagram with #soscolourandweave and #schoolofsweetgeorgia!
- Colour & Weave Gamp Pattern (PDF) » A gamp is a sampler, a weaver’s way of using a single warp to test out multiple ideas. It could be a colour gamp or a weave structure gamp or in this case a gamp that explores colour patterns. Colour and Weave is not a weave structure but rather a pattern, in the sense that it is simply plain weave with the addition of colour effects through alternating light and dark threads.
- Breakfast Eggs Towels pattern (PDF) » The first warp uses an easy all over houndstooth colour sequence leaving areas of solid yellow and white just like you would have in a fried egg and the second shows you how to use just a bit of striping to create a colour and weave highlight in the corner of your towels with a more muted scrambled egg palette where buttery and deep yellow combine. Mix and match and make them your own.
- Colour & Weave on Rigid Heddle Workbook (PDF) » Download the workbook for materials list, tips & resources.
- Complete Course Transcripts (Zip file)» Download all transcripts for the "Colour & Weave on a Rigid Heddle Loom" course.