Study Group led by: [all_instructors]
Join us for an Acid Dyeing Basics Study Group at the School of SweetGeorgia! In this study group, we will work through content from Felicia Lo’s course: Dyeing Intentional Colour!
Dyeing Intentional Colour and Dyeing Complex Colour are among the very first few courses Felicia designed for the School, and she keeps no secrets about the magic of acid dyeing. In the SOS forums, she has supported many new dyers on their colourful hand-dye journey, where we love seeing the gorgeous colours our members have created and shown in their posts. If you are also intrigued by the beauty of hand-dyed yarns and fibres, or simply want to learn to dye with a supportive group, join us in this four-week group study. We will start from the very basics—from setting up a dye space and mixing dye stock solutions, to finishing up our hand-dyed yarns and fibres. Let’s dye some magic together!
All of the fun chat and study group notes can be shared over in the SOS forums group. On Instagram, tag your posts with #sosdyeingstudygroup and #schoolofsweetgeorgia.
Find on Week 0 – Get Ready: everything you will need to source to get started.
July 7 – July 28, 2022
- WEEK 0: June 16 – Getting equipments, dye powders, and materials
- WEEK 1: July 7 – Setting up space, mixing dyes, and safety
- WEEK 2: July 14 – Dyeing with immersion technique
- Progress Meet-up: July 15, 11am-12pm PDT over Zoom
- WEEK 3: July 21 – Dyeing with low-water immersion or hand-painting technique
- WEEK 4: July 28 – Finishing, cleaning, and troubleshooting
- Finale Meet-up: July 29, 11am-12pm PDT over Zoom
- Dyes: SOS Acid Dye Kit is available on the SweetGeorgia Yarns website (link here »). For more colour choices, find more suppliers here »
- Acid: Citric Acid is usually available in baking supply stores, craft supply stores, and some grocery stores. White vinegar will work just the same if you don’t mind the smell while dyeing. The finished yarns/fibres will not smell like vinegar.
- Yarns/fibres: if you enjoy using SweetGeorgia’s yarns and fibres, you can dye them too! Undyed materials are available at the website here »
- For other yarn and fibre suppliers, find more information here »