Want to learn to dye wool and silk yarn and fibre? Start with acid dyes which are designed for protein fibres and learn how dyes are mixed, blended, and diluted to create the hues and depths of shade that you want in your yarn. After completing this achievement, you'll be able to create your own solid shade, tonal, handpainted, low-water immersion, and even self-striping yarns.
1 hr 54min | 12 lessons
- Learn how to choose or make a Blending Board.
- Discover the types of tool to use.
- Understand loading the fibres in the Blending Board, making rolags and batts, how to roll or dizz them off the board.
- Learn how to go off board to make a carded cloud prep, to create texture batty bumps, and to flick open and store locks.
53 min | 11 lessons
- Understand the basic Colour Theory.
- Explore different kinds of fibres and their properties.
- Learn different tools you can use to card fibre.
- Find out the different forms your fibre can take.
- Discover how to use drum carders, blending boards, and drum carders.
2 hr 49 min | 11 lessons
- Explore an overview of colour theory and different kinds of texture in fibre.
- Learn how to prepare to spin your batts, rolags or dizzed fibre.
- Understand scaling up your small batch fibre prep.
- Discover inspiration pieces and more!
3 hr 42 min | 5 lesson
- Learn review and lessons learned in Colour & Fibre Play I.
- Discover the fibres that can be added for unique blends.
- Learn how to sketch, doodle and sample to explore creativity.
- Understand scaling up & scaling out.
You've learned to dye all the things (so far)! From dyeing with acid dyes for wool and silk to dyeing with fibre reactive dyes for cotton and cellulose fibres, you can do it all. You've also learned how to dye with natural dyes and indigo.
5 hr 7 min | 48 lessons
- Develop a deeper understanding of colours and colour theory and learn to create or avoid muddy hues.
- Create glazed, layered, and tonal hand-dyed colour effects through immersion dyeing and the addition of delicate resists.
- Manipulate the variables of dyeing to produce non-repeating multi-coloured yarns with a low water immersion technique.
- Learn how to create handpainted yarns and spinning fibres for repeating colour sequences.
- Understand and create different self-striping colour sequences.
- Apply these dye techniques and methods to knitted sock blanks to produce even more hand-dyed effects on yarn.
1 hr 54 min | 34 lessons
- Learn to dye your own yarns and fibres using immersion dyeing techniques.
- Understand and learn to control the dye process to produce colours intentionally.
- Discover your own creative process and understand the variables that affect dyed results.
- Set up your own dye studio with the right space and the ideal equipment for acid dyeing.
- Create your own system to record your dye experiments and sessions.
1 hr 44 min | 2 lessons
- Discover the different methods of getting dye stuff to make prints onto fabric, yarn and knitted items.
- Learn all about clamping, bundling onto itself & on a stick, finishing and washing your textiles.
Discover ways of dyeing with cotton yarns and fabrics using the very versatile and vibrant fibre reactive dyes. In these courses, you'll learn how the fibre reactive dye process works and how it differs from acid dyes. You'll also learn ways of layering dyes on cloth together with resist dyeing techniques to produce modern, multi-dimensional colour.